Thursday, July 2, 2009

Liquid Lunch . . . And Dinner

This morning I went downtown for a routine dental procedure that went horribly amiss. It started out badly with my doctor not taking his eyes off of his iPhone for a second to answer the nurse's questions about what he needed to proceed to put me into pain. After a moment he looked up and asked me what procedure he was supposed to be doing. Feeling extremely uneasy I answered him. He nodded and then went about asking the nurse to run in and out of the room about a dozen times to retrieve scalpels of varying lengths. It wasn't until just before the procedure that he mentioned he only asked about the procedure because it was hospital policy to make sure they had the right patient. This made me feel slightly more at ease.

After the procedure he decided to bring up that I should avoid solid foods for the next four days. Excellent. This would have been information that would have vastly changed the grocery shopping I did yesterday. However, since I lack the ability to turn back time I was forced to slightly alter dinner plans for this evening.

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home and stocked up on pudding, keffir, and smooth peanut butter.

For the first course I made this zucchini ribbon salad with thinly sliced zucchini, garlic scape, lemon, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I let it marinate for about an hour then served it over mixed greens. Jen tells me that this tasted good. I have to take her word for it.

I had no intention of making soup this evening, however, with an injured mouth I was forced to make something for dinner that was not pudding or peanut butter.

I browned some whole cloves of garlic and shopped onion then tossed in some peeled and cubed kohlrabi. I cooked it with chicken stock then pureed it with some milk and curry powder. I garnished it with a fried wonton. Sure it may look like a leftover fried tortilla from the other night but I assure you that is merely a coincidence.

The main course (the one I am most upset about not getting to eat) was this beautiful sushi grade tuna that I seared with a sesame crust. The crust was a little light on sesame seeds (because I ran out) so I also added a little wasabi powder as well.

I also made a lemon shallot vinaigrette which I drizzled over some mache greens and I made a wasabi mashed potato to accompany it. I wasn't sure about simply mashing the potatoes by hand. I contemplated putting them through a food processor but by the time 8:00PM rolled around I was tired of this whole liquid diet nonsense.

While we didn't have it for dessert I also made a cherry preserve out of the cherries which were mere hours away from becoming unusable. I'm a little worried I made the jam too loose to use for sandwiches but we'll see how it goes.

I have no lack of options for dessert with puddings and ice cream I purchased this afternoon. Jen and I even bandied about the idea of going to the ice cream truck for some soft serve. Soft serve ice cream: perfect for the wounded mouth.

I wonder if the Mr. Softee truck gives receipts. Maybe I'll mail it to my insurance company to see if they'll up the tab.

I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Nate what did you have done to your mouth? Sorry you didn't get to eat that great-looking tuna!